Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Pullers Last Prayer

My last Journey is Over
My last campfire cold
But spear a few more waves
On the trail of growing old

Sometime when the canoes are beached
And the Shadows line the shore
Remember me for the life I lived
For with a paddle I was never poor

I was born to pull these waters
With the never ending tide
To reach the destination
With my strong Native Pride

In a land of waves that run
Toward the far off sea
I found a love
that would forever remain with me

I have experienced a life
Of Honor, Dignity and Pride
For every Journey was a teaching
Each day came a new tide

The Canoe my sacred vessel
My compass at the bow
I sit and let it guide me
I'm in a better place now

So stir the campfire proudly
Beside the rocky shore
Remember a man who loved the water
A Puller who is no more

My maps are packed away now
The canoe still and dry
My final wish...Oh keep this land sacred
For a puller such as I


When I must leave this great Ocean
Bury me close to the Wave
And let my canoe and my paddle
Be the only marker on my grave.



By Gloria Walkus-Wilson March 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors


View My Stats